A STABLE THAT BRINGS STABILITY
We need stability in a world of chaos, confusion, uncertainty, fear, and mistrust. I believe that stability can come from only one place – the Stable in Bethlehem. Here are six reasons why I believe that:
- Simple – It was a simple Stable. It was not designed by an architect nor built by a famous contractor. It didn’t have electricity; it didn’t have high-speed internet. There was no media center in it; it wasn’t on the Parade of Homes. It was just a simple stable with a feeding trough and a shelter for some animals and people. A stable Christmas is simple and is focused on Jesus.
- Serene – It was a serene Stable where peace prevailed. It was the birthplace of the Prince of Peace. The shepherds had just heard the angel say, “Don’t be afraid. I’ve got Good News for you!” (Luke 2:10) The Stable was the birthplace of the One who said, “My peace I give to you, not the kind of peace the world gives.” (John 14:27) This peace was later described as the “peace that surpasses all understanding.” (Philippians 4:7) That peace brings real stability!
- Singing – It was a singing Stable. The entire Christmas story is punctuated with music. Great musical compositions such as Ave Maria, The Benedictus, The Magnificat, and Gloria in Excelsis Deo come from the Christmas story recorded in Luke 1 & 2. Also, Christmas carols tell the Stable story, and Christmas songs are still being written today based on Luke’s account.
- Spacious – It was a spacious Stable. I don’t know how big your house is, but it isn’t as big as that first Stable. You might have more square feet, but the Stable where Jesus was born was bigger because it stretched out to the whole world. (John 3:16) The size of a house isn’t measured by square feet – but rather by the size of the welcome mat! Do we welcome people when we go outside our small, immediate family?
- Special – It was a special Stable because it was the place where God presented His Son to the world. It was used by God to become a man and live among us. “The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.” (John 1:14) Our lives can be special because it is through us that the Light of Hope and Peace can shine today. We are the light to the world. (Mat. 5:16) Jesus has entrusted His Light and His Truth to us to share with others! That’s very special!
- Sacrificial – It was a sacrificial Stable because it was the birthplace of the One who would sacrifice His life for the sins of all mankind. The baby who was born was to become the perfect lamb to be sacrificed. Jesus was described as the Lamb that was unblemished and spotless. (I Peter 1:9) Luke 23 describes how they carried Him up to a cross and crucified Him. He was willing to sacrifice His life in order that we might have life. Are we willing to sacrifice our money, time, pleasure, ambition, and comfort so other people might find hope and help?
The only real stability for our world comes from that Stable!