Below is a brief recap of ministry opportunities during August 2010.
– August 1-4 – Served as principal resource speaker for Church Business Administrators of the Southeast at Lake Junaluska, NC. I spoke at 8 sessions on stewardship.
– August 7 – Spoke at the Senior Adult Celebration at Trinity on the Hill in Augusta, GA. We 20 different churches participating for that Saturday celebration.
– August 8 – Preached at the morning worship services at Trinity on the Hill in Augusta, GA. The worship services were held in their gymnasium as the sanctuary is being renovated. I spoke at their rally last October at which time they pledged several million dollars for this sanctuary renovation. They are now projecting more building to accommodate the growth. Dan Brown, the Senior Minister, is a super leader.
– August 15 – Served as the worship leader in the three traditional worship services at Frazer on Sunday morning. Preached at the evening worship service. A group of lay people approached the staff at Frazer requesting an evening worship service and pledging to give leadership. Tim Thompson, Patrick Quinn, and the staff gave an enthusiastic endorsement of this idea. This was the third worship service and they are having an average of over 300 people each Sunday night.
– August 19 – Attended the Methodist Homes meeting in Birmingham, AL, and gave the devotional. I have served as a trustee of this board for several years.
– August 21-23 – Spent three days at First United Methodist Church Dothan with Dr. Jim Sanders. This was a part of their emphasis called Deeper 2010- Expanding Your Influence. On Sunday I preached at 3 morning worship services, taught Sunday School for all of the men of the church in the Fellowship Hall during the Sunday School hour, spoke to about 40 of the leaders at lunch (these leaders will be serving in their Stewardship Campaign studying Treasures of the Transformed Life), preached Sunday night.
– August 23 – Spoke at a noon session at Dothan First United Methodist Church regarding witness to people in the community who are not currently being reached by thechurch. Spent time in the afternoon with the staff. Monday evening spoke at asession on leadership to about 250 leaders.
– August 25 – Attended luncheon for retired persons from Southern Guaranty Insurance. For some 30 years I spoke at a devotional each Wednesday morning for all of the employees of Southern Guaranty.
– August 28 – Officiated at the wedding for Melinda Morrow.
– August 29 – Preached at a rally at the Bluff Park United Methodist Church in Birmingham as a kick-off to their Fall ministry opportunities. Dr. Reid Crotty is the pastor.
During August I had the opportunity to meet with several pastors in one-on-one conferences. I am finding this to be very productive. I also met with leaders from two different churches who were seeking opinions, directions, etc. on how to make their local church vital.
Please pray for me and for the Board of the John Ed Mathison Leadership Ministries. Our Board gives me great encouragement, support, and accountability.