FALLING APART OR FALLING INTO PLACE?
For the past 6 weeks, I have been filming a brief “Good News” segment on social media every morning at 10 o’clock. I stand in front of bookshelves in my office where I have some pictures. Since many asked me about the people in the pictures, I decided to take a different picture each day and talk about the person in the picture and what good news they might share.
I did this from April 20th for 12 days through May 1st. I had pictures with Rod Laver, Bart Starr, George Beverly Shae, Bobby Richardson, Albert Long, Evander Holyfield, and six others. If you’re interested in seeing these videos, you can find them by using the search feature on my Facebook page.
One person I shared about was Anne Graham Lotz, Billy Graham’s daughter. She had invited me to speak at a retreat for some of her friends in North Carolina.
She recently was speaking to the employees at the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association in Charlotte, North Carolina. My friend Wayne Atcheson leads the ministry of the Billy Graham Library. This is one of the most inspiring and informative places that I have ever visited. Wayne quoted Anne, saying, “Many people are saying the world is falling apart – the world is not falling apart – it’s falling into place.”
Wow! That’s a powerful statement. Many people today do think that the world is falling apart. The world is not falling apart – it is falling into place!! I want to focus on the place that the world is falling into. What could that place look like?
Moses passed the mantle of leadership to Joshua. Joshua speaks to the people and gives them a good lesson for entering into the New Land. His instructions for the New Land inform us as we take our place in the world that is falling into place. Joshua 22 suggests five things:
- “Obey all of the commandments.” (v.5) We should have learned that we don’t break God’s commandments – they break us. If you jump off a 5-story building, you don’t break the law of gravity – it breaks you! The world that God is putting in place is one where obedience is foundational.
- “Love the Lord.” (v.5) Early in his ministry, Jesus was asked about the greatest commandment. He said it is to “love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.” (Matthew 22:37) To love God means to give full devotion and commitment to Him.
- “Follow His plan.” (v.5) God has a plan for every person. If we follow His plan, we’ll discover life. There are a lot of plans people are promoting for the way we ought to live. God has the correct plan. If we deviate from that plan, we get lost and confused. Following God’s plan takes us where we need to be. Find God’s plan and follow it!
- “Cling to Him.” (v.5) The word picture here for me is holding onto something we know is secure. “Cling” means to hang on at all costs. Never let go. Clinging to Him is total security!
- “Serve Him enthusiastically.” (v.5) Serving Him is our DNA. Jesus said that when we lose our life in serving Him, it’s then that we truly find life. (Matt 16:25) Realizing that, we serve Him enthusiastically!
Is your world falling apart or falling into place?