Football season is here. Wouldn’t it be great if we got as excited about our church and our faith as we did our football team? I was convicted when I read Thom Rainer’s 11 comparisons of a college football fan and a church member. It gave me a healthy, uncomfortable feeling. Maybe it will do the same for you.
1. A college football fan loves to win. The typical church member never wins anyone to Christ.
2. A college football fan gets excited if a game goes into overtime. A church member gets mad if the pastor preaches one minute past the allocated time.
3. A college football fan is loyal to his or her team no matter what. A church member stops attending if things are not going well.
4. A college football fan is easily recognized by his or her sportswear, bumper stickers, and team flags. Many church members cannot even be recognized as Christians by people with whom they associate.
5. A college football fan pays huge dollars for tickets, travel, and refreshments for games. A church member may or may not give to his or her church.
6. A college football fan reads about his or her football team every day. A church member rarely reads the Bible once in the course of a week.
7. A college football fan attends the game no matter how bad the weather is. A church member stays home if there is a 20 percent chance of rain.
8. A college football fan invites others to watch the game every week. A church member rarely invites someone to church.
9. A college football fan is known for his or her passion for the football team. A church member is rarely known for his or her passion for the gospel.
10. A college football fan will adjust gladly to changes in kickoff time. A church member gets mad if his or her service time is changed by just a few minutes.
11. A college football fan is loyal even if he or she never gets to meet the coach. A church member gets mad if the pastor does not visit for every possible occasion.
The difference in the effect on people’s lives between football and church is not even describable. Football can be fun – church makes a difference! Coach John McKay, the famous coach of Southern Cal, said, “I’ve never felt that football built character. That is done by parents and the church. You give us a boy with character and we’ll give you back a man. You give us a character – and we’ll give him right back to you!”
Football season is only a few months. Church season is twelve months. Winners in football can be forgotten in a few years. Winners in the Christian faith continue winning forever and ever and ever!
It’s game time!