MY 7 UPS
Everyone needs a plan for living each day in 2022. My plan includes “7 ups” to help me move up each day. These “7 ups” do not refer to the drink you purchase from a machine, nor the delivery service that’s dependent on a human supply chain. My “7 ups” are God and I working together. I share them to ask you to help hold me accountable and consider joining me in this plan.
- WAKE UP. Wake up and remember that David said “Today is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psalm 118:24) Begin each day with a decision that God has something good in store for us today and we are going to be committed to following His will.
- GET UP. It’s always easy to lie in bed and daydream about what could be. It’s another thing to get up and let God begin to use us. The prodigal son in Luke 15 found himself in a pig pen. He woke up (vs. 17) and then got up (vs. 18, 20) and went home to his father! Check out what his “ups” led to. (vs. 21-24)
- FILL UP. Something is going to occupy our thinking today. It could be very negative or very positive. It can be self-centered, or it can be outwardly focused. Paul says, “Whatever is true, good, lovely, good in others . . . brings joy and praise …let your mind dwell on these things.” (Philippians4:8)
- SHUT UP. It’s always easy to speak before we think. We have two ears and only one mouth. We need to listen a lot more and speak a lot less. Solomon reminds us that “He who guards his lips guards his soul.” (Proverbs 13:3) Think twice before you speak, and think three times or more before you send an email or text or Twitter message!
- LOOK UP. If you walk through life looking down, you will never see a rainbow or the many doors that God wants to open every day. Remember that our strength does not come from other people or ourselves down here, but it comes from God above. Look up to Him. David wrote “I will look up to the mountains from where my help comes. My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121:1,2)
- REACH UP. Always be reaching upward. Every day, we need to have some goal that’s just beyond our reach and will cause us to stretch to reach it. Be sure that it is God’s goal and not yours. Paul said, “I reach forward to what lies ahead. I strain toward the prize of the upward call of God.” (Philippians 3:12-14)
- LIFT UP. Focus on someone to lift up in prayer. When you see a person who is down emotionally, financially, spiritually, or psychologically, lift them up. “Two can accomplish more than twice as much as one. If one falls, the others lift him up. One standing alone can be defeated, but two standing back-to-back can conquer, and three is even better!” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)
What is your daily plan for 2022?